With Walt Whitman in Camden, by Horace Traubel
A BIBLIOGRAPHIC HANDLIST
© Copyright 1997 by W L Bentley Rare Books. All Rights Reserved.
University of Pennsylvania Press, 1953
- Title Page:
- WITH WALT WHITMAN | IN CAMDEN | January 21 to April 7, 1889 | [short double rule 11 mm] | BY | HORACE TRAUBEL | Edited by | Sculley Bradley | Philadelphia | University of Pennsylvania Press | LONDON: GEOFFREY CUMBERLEGE | OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS | 1953
- (14.5 x 22.2 cm) [unsigned, 1-358], 280 leaves.
Pp. [i-viii] ix-xviii 1-528; 7 leaves unpaginated recto and verso (total 14 pages) for plates (see note 1).
- i: half-title "WITH WALT WHITMAN | IN CAMDEN". ii: blank. iii: title. iv: copyright "Copyright 1953 | Anne M. Traubel | Manufactured in the United States of America". v: contents. vi: blank. vii: list of illustrations "ILLUSTRATIONS". viii: blank. ix-xiv: introduction. xv-xvi: preface "TO READERS". xvii-xviii: editorial note. 1-514: conversations. 515-528: index.
All plates were printed together with the text on unpaginated leaves, except:
- Frontispiece printed on coated stock and inserted between 11 and 12.
- Dark green linen texture cloth. SPINE: Gold-stamped lettering: "[double rule] | WITH | WALT | WHITMAN | IN | CAMDEN | [double rule] | HORACE | TRAUBEL. | [star ornament] | [shield of the University of Pennsylvania]"
- None observed to date.
- Typography and Paper:
11/12.5 Caledonia text. Ivory wove paper; no watermark.
- Note to Item :
- Plates are printed on unpaginated leaves facing pages 2, 20, 152, and 440.
Southern Illinois University Press, 1959
Reissue of original sheets from item  with reset title page and reprinted frontispiece (see note 1 for item [5a]). Identical to item , except for the following variant elements:
- Title Page:
- WITH | WALT WHITMAN | IN CAMDEN | January 21--April 7, 1889 | [short heavy rule 12.5 mm] | HORACE TRAUBEL | Edited by | Sculley Bradley | SOUTHERN ILLINOIS | UNIVERSITY PRESS | 1959
- (14.5 x 22.2 cm) [unsigned, 18(-11,2+x2) 2-358], 280 leaves.
- i: half-title (reset). ii: frontispiece. iii: title (see above). iv: copyright "Copyright 1953, by Anne M. Traubel | Manufactured in the United States of America".
- Frontispiece tipped onto 11v.
- Dark green fine ribbed cloth. All edges trimmed. Top edge gilt. FRONT: Blind-stamped frame. SPINE: Gold-blocked intertwining leaves around lettering "WITH | WALT | WHITMAN | IN | CAMDEN | 4 | HORACE | TRAUBEL | SOUTHERN".